The Yemeni Armed Forces have conducted a retaliatory attack against US warships in the Red Sea, including USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier, thwarting two planned strikes targeting the impoverished nation.
In a statement on Friday, army spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Saree said the country’s military targeted “hostile warships in the Red Sea, including the US aircraft carrier, [USS Harry S.] Truman, with a number of cruise missiles and drones,” in response to the US strikes on Yemen.
He noted that the operation, “the second in the past 24 hours,” thwarted two planned US aerial attacks against Yemen.
This comes as the US has intensified its strikes on Yemen since President Donald Trump ordered a “powerful military action” against Yemen’s Army last month.
In his statement, Saree stressed Yemen’s readiness to confront any possible escalation, and vowed that pro-Palestine operations will continue until Israel’s war in Gaza ends.
“The aggressor will know that Great Yemen can’t be broken or surrender, and will not abandon its religious, moral and human duties towards the oppressed Palestinian people, whatever the repercussions and whatever the outcomes,” he said, stressing that “Victory will belong to Yemen, God willing.”
Since the onset of Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, Yemeni forces have carried out scores of operations in support of the war-hit Gazans, striking targets throughout the occupied Palestinian territories, in addition to targeting Israeli ships or vessels heading toward ports in the occupied territories.
In support of Israel, the US announced the formation of a maritime task force in the Red Sea in December 2023 to protect the passage of vessels bound for the Israeli-occupied territories.
The Yemeni forces responded by ramping up their strikes against strategic and sensitive Israeli and American targets, including the US warships and aircraft carriers that are deployed off Yemen’s coastline.
The Yemeni forces had paused their retaliatory strikes in support of the ceasefire that took effect in Gaza on January 19, before Israel broke it last month.
Press TV’s website